I signed up for the Philly half marathon yesterday out of the blue. I haven’t run more than 7 miles once in the past 4 months. Either way I was boosted by my time trialed mile and decided I was in good enough shape to make a run at it. I’m starting in good shape but not endurance running shape. Here’s my plan over the next 19 days.
- Try to eat healthier and eat more fruit. Laura asked me when was the last time I had a fruit or vegetable and I answered a month. I lied. It could be 3 months.
- I started yesterday running 8 miles all at one time. Most of my runs are 2-3 miles at a fast pace, short break, then back at it for 2-3 more. I did 6 at 7 minute pace and was pretty dead by the end. I warmed down the last 2.
- Knowing that 6 miles is my starting point of non-stop running, I’ll gradually increase my mileage over the next 20 days. Today I’ll try to do 7 straight with a 2 mile warm down.
- If you can’t complete a practice run at the race mileage, you most likely won’t do your best. By the 20th rolls around, I want to have gotten up to 13 miles non stop.
- With such a short time frame, I have to watch the alcohol intake and make sure I don’t miss many days training. I know Sam doesn’t take many days off but I’ll schedule at least 5 during this time to make sure I don’t get injured from asking more than my body would feel comfortable with.