- I Haven’t Felt Like It – If you don’t have any reasonably good ideas, it’s not fun to blog. It could be argued that most of my ideas aren’t fantastic, but producing shit is bad for all parties.
- It’s Been Busy At Work – I’m sure people out there think I don’t do much, and there are times when I blog at work, but lately it’s been frantic and I haven’t been able to squeeze in blogging.
- The Weekend Knocked Me Down – Nothing out of the ordinary but I rolled a ton of games on Saturday and played an early round of golf on Sunday and I was pretty much zapped of all energy. Obviously I was drinking through it which can’t be blamed on the activities.
- Vita-Coco Cleanse – Yesterday I drank 2 of the Vita-Coco’s which are a laxative if you consume to much. Much to my surprise, I urinated out of my butt for 10 minutes straight. This was a blog worthy topic but is only getting a bullet.
- Football is Almost Here – You’ll start getting my fantasy football blogs in the next few days. I intend to spend this next weekend preparing for the drafts and I’m sure I’ll sprinkle my knowledge on my readers. I’d guess I devote 5 hours a week to research which cuts into blogging time.
- Highest Series of My Life – Last night in bowling I rolled a 680+ series. This has nothing to do with my not blogging but since it’s my blog, I get to brag. Sam was over 600, Jordan was close, and Evan had more 9 spares than I could count.
I wrote this piece on the Diner En Blanc last year and was cracking myself up re-reading it.
Tomorrow I’m hoping will be a special guest blog entry from Jeff recapping his epic night of hauling tables and chairs across Philadelphia for the “secret” meeting place where the well to do can eat their own prepared food. Remember, you PAY for the privilege to dine on your own meal.
4,500 people attend this event and my feeling is that they say that the people who mock it are just “jealous”. As someone who has never attended I’m not judging as much as adding up the pieces to where no fun seems to be had. Here are the top Reddit comments regarding the event:
i cant wait to see what part of the city is rendered entirely inoperable so a bunch of shit pigs in white h&m clothes can drink box wine on a folding chair in the middle of the street
- I’m not sure white people should wear all white and gather in secret.
- I find this event more embarrassing than when we booed Santa.
Someone compared it to the Broad St Run:
- The Broad Street run, if I’m not mistaken, benefits charity. Pretty sure Diner En Blanc is an entirely for profit event. Also, I realize Broad Street is on a much larger scale, but shutting down Broad on a Sunday morning for a non profit run that promotes health and benefits charity is a completely different animal than a for profit, mostly pointless gathering of privileged yahoos that jacks shit up at some location in the city on a weeknight around rush hour that is kept a secret until the day of so no one has the opportunity to plan around it.
- If you don’t like it, don’t go. If you think it’s a waste of money, don’t go. I’ve never understood why there is such backlash towards this. I fully understand people who were mad about blocking Broad Street- I don’t agree with the decision to go there. But every other event has not impacted the city in any negative way. I would much rather be called elitist than judgmental.
Taken from a Reddit Post:
This is Renaud Lavillenie, a French pole jumper, at the the award ceremony for his Silver medal. Does he look happy? No, because the whole Brazilian audience is booing him. They boo at him because he was the favorite for the gold medal and concurrent of the Brazilian athlete. At all his attempts the audience booed, so that he fails and the Brazilian athletes wins. And in the end he lost to the Brazilian athlete, who won gold.
And when the national anthem of Brazil played he couldn’t stop his emotions anymore and cried. The Brazilian people are the worst audience and host of the Olympics. This shows only how bad the decision of the IOC was to chose Rio besides the open thefts and violence against tourists and athletes.
I signed up for Dollar Shave Club back in December. It’s a relatively simple concept that made Gillette, the leader in shaving, completely alter their business model. For $9 dollars a month, they ship me 4 brand new razor blades. I found 8 razor blades for the Gillette Fusion online for $24.38 which seems like a reasonable deal for reference.
I shave about every 3 days and I would say I grow regular facial hair. Pretty consistent throughout and not too thick. After 9 months, I’ve stored about 10 extra blades that are mine. I go through 3 a month. The razor is never dull and I don’t feel like I’m burning money by throwing it out. One critique I have is that I don’t think the razor blades are as good as the Gillette ones. If you feel like you spend too much on razor blades, I’d say the Dollar Shave club, for $108 a year, is pretty good.
HOWEVER, if you say I go through 3 blades a month, and the cost of 8 is $24.38, than 4.5 x $24.38 – $109.71 which would mean if I think the Gillette blades are better, I should stick with Gillette. This is a valid point but I also accumulate 12 extra blades through DSC. I also saw the Amazon review was 2 out of 5 with 121 reviews. HMMMM.
Coming off a huge $30 dollar win on my Olympic Golf DraftKings team I’m primed and ready to go into earnings season.
Ezekiel Kemboi (WAS +170)
The 3000m Steeple has been removed from the Bovada betting as Vegas re-evaluates the odds after the trials went off today. Sam noted that Kemboi’s odds moved all the way to +200 last Friday and settled on +150 which I have a feeling will continue to trend downward as we get closer to the race and more eyes land on it. Kemboi made the finals after Monday’s race as well as the other big names in Conseslus, Brimin, and Jager. This is a great read on the race from Let’s Run better than any resource I can give you. They believe Kemboi will outkick Conseslus for the Gold which is what Sam predicted.I currently have $350 to win $595. THE RACE IS 10:50AM on WEDNESDAY 8/17/16. Congratulations to my future wife Emma Coburn for her Bronze medal in the 3000m Steeplechase this morning (she was one of the likes).
— Tom Stortz (@rnningfool) May 30, 2015
The earnings were underwhelming. The stock dipped from $7.60 to below $7 bucks last Tuesday. Today NVAX has come back with a vengeance going up to exactly where it was last week at $7.60. This is a good sign. I’d recommend sticking with the stock. A quick update on my position. I bought 6 $9 OCT option contracts at $1.20 which is equivalent to a $720 investment. Today those options are worth $1.55. This is a .35 gain on a $1.20 basis which is 29% gain in about 3 weeks time. Let’s keep running up!
You cannot get a piece of my fantasy baseball action but I manged to make it to the finals in my $100 league. First place is $700 and 2nd is $300 (I think). Considering I know very little about baseball, this is a bit surprising but shows being active on the waiver wire, listening to others, and getting lucky can be all you need.
Brookes did my draft because I don’t know the players very well. I STILL don’t know the players except for who is on my team because I never actually watch the games. Goldschmidt was my first pick (pick# 3) and proved consistent but is 15th in total points scored among batters. Dee Gordon (missed most of the year), Gerrit Cole (underwhelming) and Matt Carpenter (solid) were the next 3 picks. 5th round grabbed Tulowitzki who was hurt for some of the season but is a good shortstop when he plays. The steal of the draft happened in the 6th round with David Ortiz (5th most points scored among batters). The remainder of the draft yielded Zimmerman, Hanley, and Kemp but no one else who remained on the team to completion.
Why I think my team is in the finals is because I have no attachment to the players who were drafted. If they players weren’t performing, I cut them and moved to a player who was. Russell Martin was horrible and I grabbed Wilson Ramos off the waiver wire who was an all-star. I added Rick Porcello (16-3), Rich Hill (9-3), Danny Duffy (9-1), and Marco Estrada (7-5, 1.04 WHIP) thoughout the year to basically become my staff. Not a single closer remained for the entire season as Rosenthal was replaced and Ziegler and Rodney were traded. I also added Adam Duvall and Jean Segura who helped out along the way.
A final thought was I got really lucky. I had the least points scored against in the entire league. I had the guy in the first round of the playoffs only score 166 points against me. In the second round I streamed 4 pitchers who all had positive results. Call it great managing but it has more to do with getting lucky. That’s why I think there is about a 0% chance I lose this week. Big thanks to Bud and Brookes who answered any questions I had as the season progressed.
Huge congratulations to Justin Rose for out dueling Henrick Stenson for the Olympic gold in Rio. He played great golf the final round and sealed the deal with a 50 yard chip or so to about 2 ft which gave him a birdie and the win on 18. Stenson had a shot at birdie on 18 to tie but couldn’t get it done. Kuch shot a 63 in the final round to backdoor into the bronze medal.
Props to Kuchar (-13, 3rd place), Bubba (-8, T for 8th), Patrick Reed (-6, T 11), and Rickie Folwer (E, T for 37th) for doing a great job representing the USA. The tournament had a different feel to it because the players weren’t playing for money but for their country. Matt Kuchar said:
“I can assure you I’ve never been so excited to finish in the top three in my life,” he told Golf Channel’s Steve Sands. “I can’t explain to you the pride I feel just burning out of my chest. It’s something I haven’t felt before.”
Aside from the great golf being played and the enormous respect that is due to the players who participated, there should also be a large amount of shame placed on the top players of the world. Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, Jason Day, and Adam Scott, I’m looking in your direction. It should be pointing out that the Zika virus was to blame (lame excuse) and Rory straight came across as a dick.
The Losers Quotes
Dustin Johnson – “As an athlete, I can think of no greater honor than representing the United States in the Olympic Games,” Johnson said in a statement Friday night. “However, after much careful consideration and discussion with both my family and my team, I have made the decision to withdraw from the 2016 Olympic Games. This was not an easy decision for me, but my concerns about the Zika virus cannot be ignored. [Wife] Paulina and I plan to have more children in the near future, and I feel it would be irresponsible to put myself, her or our family at risk.
Jason Day – “The reason for my decision is my concerns about the possible transmission of the Zika virus and the potential risks that it may present to my wife’s future pregnancies and to future members of our family,”
Jordan Spieth – “It’s the most exciting sporting event for me to watch on TV and to have a chance to be a part of it is something I definitely look forward to trying to do. This year I just had to try and weigh a risk that doesn’t present itself every year, and just at the time that I had to make the decision, I just felt this was the right move for me.
“Not everybody’s going to understand. Nobody’s going to understand what it’s like in my shoes . . . As you can see, a lot of golfers are trying to decide for themselves. Mine came down to just a very personal decision that, again, I don’t expect anybody to understand, but trust that I believe I’m making the right decision for myself, for my future and for those around me.”
Rory McIlroy – I don’t feel like I’ve let the game down at all. I didn’t get into golf to try to grow the game. I tried to get into golf to win championships and major championships.
Aly Raisman and Simone Biles are en fuego. I knew that Biles won gold in the all-around and Raisman got silver as I was watching last night which is another reason why watching replay sucks. After seeing Aly Raisman’s floor routine I thought to myself “how could anyone do better than that?? Then I saw Biles and was blown away. She is so powerful, gets so much air, and sticks every landing. I see why she’s the best gymnast in the world. First watch a clip of Raisman’s first pass for reference. Now here is Biles routine. And if you have a crush on Aly Raisman, here is further hotness from Aly (NSFW) in the ESPN Body Issue.
Jaw dropping and awe inspiring. I know virtually nothing about swimming so I can’t tell if the competition is weak or he is that much better with regard to world times, but what he has done throughout his career might not be matched for a long time. 22 golds! He will win 23 tonight as he’s going off at -300. What an absolute monster in the pool. His parents are dolphins!
I wrote that the John Deere is such a snoozer because of these Olympics and it’s playing out that way. Draftkings has 47k entries to the Olympic golf tournament. The PGA championship had 83k to give you an idea of it’s relevance to the gambling community. I’d guess the John Deere has 3k.
It’s the early goings but you have Stenson and Rose chasing guys like Marcus Fraser and Thomas Pieters. The USA team is struggling with Kuchar leading the way in 11th currently, Bubba in the middle of the pack, and Reed and Fowler lagging behind. Fortunately there are no cuts.
The medal count looks like this:
Obviously the Americans are dominating swimming and gymnastics. I have a hard time believing they’ll win in events like archery, ping pong, hand ball, and water polo. What it really shows though is the dedication to sports and the ability to train and fight through obstacles. People like Phelps, Ledecky, Biles, and Raisman are created by a devotion to being the best. They have god given abilities that are crafted through a lifetime of work. What you are watching is the result of talent and hard work and America is proving it knows how to create the best athletes on the planet. It’s incredible to watch the ass-kicking they are putting on the rest of the world.
Never leaving the limelight is McKayla and her firm ass.
Lately pretty much the entire planet has been pissing me off. There’s nothing major in my life that is problematic but it’s the little tidbits that start to piss me off. Here’s a short list.
- Bikers and runners in Center City – I was driving in Center City last night, which I know was a huge mistake, and people riding and running in this area must have a mental disorder. At 5:30pm it’s so fucking crowded that I’d imagine people get hit every minute. Bikers have no room to ride except in the already clusterfucked street. Drivers have road rage because it’s stop and go and these bikers swerve in and out of lanes like they own the road which is asking for a hospital visit. Topping it all off are these runners who decide that Center City streets are a great place to run in rush hour and add to the misery. From now own I will no longer be entering Center City. Ever.
- Sirius Radio and Scottrade Pop Ups – I stream Sirius on my computer and today it has been stalling every 5 minutes and popping up asking me if I want to retry. Scottrade pops up every 30 minutes saying that if I don’t hit OK it will time me out of my account. This sounds simple but when the computer cues to the pop up as the primary window, it takes me away from whatever it is I’m actually doing. Nightmare.
- The Word Fucking and Literally – These are what I like to call “thinking” words. Some people use “uhh” or “you know” but those are beginner thinking words. The evolution of these simple phrases turns into using actual words to think. Fucking and literally give you ample time to think and continue a sentence. Unfortunately if they are over used, they start getting annoying. Fucking pretty much makes every comment have more emphasis which is fine but loses meaning once used every other word. Literally is one of those words that I may or may not be using correctly which is even worse.
- Crossword Puzzles with #’s – When did this happen? Today’s puzzle had an answer to “what did the fan say after he missed the ending of the game?” The answer was WHO1. WHAT?!?! 4 other answers had it to. Fucking insane. See. I did it again.
This is Hunter S. Thompson in a gun fight with a neighbor.
If you haven’t been following Golf, which I’m sure you haven’t, the top players of the world decided not to participate in the Olympics because it hasn’t been played since 1904, and doesn’t carry the weight of the majors. They actually used the excuse of the Zika virus for why they weren’t playing. I’m looking at you Jordan Spieth, Jason Day, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, Brendan Grace, Louis Oosthuizen, and Adam Scott. I have a feeling they might be regretting this decision once the tournament starts.
In more interesting news, Paulina Gretzky put this on Instagram a few days ago and got into it with some trolls about DJ not playing in the Olympics.
Listen here you hating pieces of shit trolls. I’ll say it once, he didn’t work his ass off his entire life for a gold medal, he achieved his MAJOR, and let everyone else do what they need to do and leave my fanfuckingtastic man alone.
Some of the better comments on this picture:
- how does it feel to be a dumb blonde trophy wife living off her dad and husband’s success? When’s ur porno coming out? Skank
- He’s a bum with 0 personality who sounds like a simpleton when he speaks. The fact that you throw around profanity only adds to the fact that you’re a classless couple. Yes he has a major. Thank god Bc otherwise hes known as nothing more than a stiff, lame choke artist. Keep showing your ass for fame, skank.
- Did you husband do Blow and screw other players wives/girlfriends?
Why Olympic Golf is Worth Watching
2 Words – John Deere. If the Traveler’s was a below average tournament, the John Deere has about as much enthusiasm as a man on life support
- They will be golfing in a location I have never seen a golf course in
- Most of the worlds best players aren’t pussies and will be partcipating – Fowler, Bubba, Kuchar, Reed, Stenson, Rose, Garcia
- It’s the Olympics and you can only brag about winning it every 4 years
- Draftkings lineups are available
- TEAM USA
— USA GOLF (@USAGolf) August 9, 2016