Here’s a gif of a genius adding water to oil. Or vice versa.

WATERANDOIL

DO NOT USE WATER ON A GREASE FIRE!
Start evacuating everyone from the building. Fires spread extremely fast and can overwhelm victims in minutes. Treat burns only after evacuating the building.

Turn off the Burner! The fire might go out with this simple step.

Call 911. There’s no reason to wait, Rocky Mountain Fire will be there to assist even if you manage to get the fire out.

The easiest way to smother a grease fire is to cover it with a pan lid. Be careful with glass lids; they can break from the extreme heat of open flame.

Grease fires can also be smothered with baking soda, but it takes a lot of baking soda to do the trick. Unless the baking soda is easily accessible, it’s usually easier to quickly find a lid.

A dry chemical fire extinguisher will also work, but it will contaminate your kitchen and food. Class K fire extinguishers are available to put out grease and other kitchen fires, but they are usually only found in commercial kitchens.

A newly developed fire extinguishing spray is now available. Highly effective on common household fires including grease fires. Dispensed from a common aerosol spray can.