1. the substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt.
2. the expression so substituted: “she gave me the back door” is a euphemism for “I fucked her in the ass.”
I feel like any time you pick up on a euphemism, pointing it out makes you seem more intelligent.
1. going beyond ordinary limits; surpassing; exceeding.
2. superior or supreme.
It’s ok to use this word as long as you are describing something that deserves. When referring to music, works like Mozart, Beethoven or the Beatles can be transcendent. Using this word to describe Nickleback or Sugar Ray would make you sound less intelligent.
a self-seeking, servile flatterer; fawning parasite.
This word sounds much worse than it is. I feel like calling someone a sycophant is like referring to them as a cockroach. Basically a sycophant is a yes man who agrees just because you’ll like him more. I don’t think this word makes you sound more intelligent, it’s just better to know what it is.
1.the pure and concentrated essence of a substance.
2.the most perfect embodiment of something.
If you say the quintessential meaning behind this is… the person will obviously be blown away you are using that word that they won’t pay attention to the next phrase so you can pretty much just say whatever you want.
1. understood by or meant for only the select few who have special knowledge or interest; recondite: poetry full of esoteric allusions.
2. belonging to the select few.
3. private; secret; confidential.
I never understand how to use this word and still don’t. I suppose it can be used as “the KKK is an esoteric group.” I used to always use a red lighter in college so if anyone ever stole it, I’d know who it was. I used to think it was an esoteric lighter. Don’t ask me why I had a lighter.
1. a characteristic, habit, mannerism, or the like, that is peculiar to an individual.
2. the physical constitution peculiar to an individual.
People think you are calling someone an idiot but the reality is that you are just pointing out someones odd characteristic. I have plenty of idiosyncrasy’s and now if anyone uses the word, I won’t be offended.