Did you know there are over 173 million people in Nigeria? It’s the 8th most populous nation in the world! Africa as a whole has 1.033 billion people. This is how big Africa is.
My brain knows about 3 facts about the world’s population.
- The United States has over 300 million people in it
- There are over a billion people in India (1.2) and China (1.3)
- There are 750 million people in Europe
Common knowledge is that there are over 7 billion people in the world. Based on my knowledge and this new Africa knowledge, I’ve accounted for about 4.5 billion. This number is difficult to wrap your mind around and I’ll explain why I have a hard time doing it.
People love lists.
1. You’re one person. You think your world is important. It’s not as important as you think.
2. You’re in one area. You think what you’re doing in Philadelphia is important. It’s not important to someone in Japan.
3. When you realize that 7 billion people are all thinking but not coming up with the actual realization of how insignificant they are, you start to understand what’s important and what’s not. I see this thought as more a passing thought and not a life altering thought.
It’s wearing off now, but when I saw that fat man keel over and die, Michael, I realized that we don’t have a lot of time on this earth. We weren’t meant to spend it this way. Human beings weren’t meant to sit in little cubicles, starring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements.