An interesting measure of how popular an artist is can be looked at by Spotify followers. Spotify is replacing Pandora as the streaming music king and is a more relevant indicator. Here is a snapshot of the top 20 Spotify accounts as of 12/23/13. I’ve added the Twitter followers as well to see how the two numbers compare.
20. One Direction – 16.8 Million Twitter followers – Teen heartthrobs who should do very well in popularity with regards to Spotify and social media as they hit the “who uses it the most” target on the bulls eye.
19. Usher – 8.8 Million Twitter followers – Hasn’t had a CD since 12′ and maintains a strong presence with his 17 years of producing quality jams.
18. Justin Bieber – 47.8 Million Twitter followers – Not surprising to see the Biebs have a much stronger following on Twitter where it’s not all about the music.
17. Kanye West – 10.1 Million Twitter followers – For being the best (in his own mind), you’d think he’d have more followers.
16. Pitbull – 15.2 Million Twitter followers – His successful collaborations just don’t seem to end and he knocks them out of the park in the pop world.
15. Gotye – 410k Twitter followers – Probably hasn’t added a fan since 2012. Somebody That I Used To Know has 141 million plays currently
14. Mumford and Sons – 500k Twitter followers – Odd when your Twitter followers are less than your Spotify followers but I think that should speak to the fact that these guys are all about the music
13. Lana Del Rey – 13.1 Million Twitter followers – Shocker that Lana is this high. She must be hitting a market I’m unaware of like teen girls.
12. Adele – 18.9 Million Twitter followers – No CD since 2011 and I can’t imagine she’s been adding tons of fans which speaks volumes to how big she was when 21 was released.
11. Drake – 13.6 Million Twitter followers – Nothing Was The Same was released in September of this year and Drake’s fan base is continuing to grow as he’s solidified himself as one of the game’s best.
10. Nicki Minaj – 17.2 Million Twitter followers – Since American Idol she doesn’t seem as current and her new music isn’t hitting my radio airwaves. She always seems to chirp back up though. Loving the Spotify logo.
9. Eminem – 16.5 Million Twitter followers – The new album The Marshall Mathers LP2 has revived Eminem and I would think he will continue to gain (even more) popularity the more people listen to it.
8. Katy Perry – 48.7 Million Twitter followers – Another singer who is way better known on Twitter than on Spotify which shows how huge her fan base is. She doesn’t even care if her logo is done professionally which honestly boggles my mind. *Edit – I added her new logo once I saw it was finally changed.
8. Aviici – 1.1 Million Twitter followers – Huge following on Spotify and the best Spotify intro picture I’ve seen. I’d expect him to continue to climb the ranks as EDM continues to grow on Spotify.
7. Fun. – 647k Twitter followers – No new record and not many new songs since “Some Nights”. I have a feeling that they have something in the pipeline that will propel them higher. Not done with Fun. yet
6. Coldplay – 11.6 Million Twitter followers – This is a major surprise to me because Coldplay hasn’t come out with an album in 2 years and they feel old. They have an incredibly successful catalog though and that’s why they generate so much interest and a following.
5. Skrillex – 3.2 Million Twitter followers – I’m not a huge EDM guy but Spotify is listened to all over the world and this fan base is bigger than the US. These figures will continue to soar.
4. Flo Rida – 5 Million Twitter followers – The king of a catchy beat and chorus. Shocking he could be this high as I put him in the Pitbull category of pop songs.
3. Maroon 5 – 7.3 Million Twitter followers – Adam Levine is named Sexiest Man of 2013 and he’s doing good things on the Voice. A class example of how to promote yourself and band.
2. Rihanna – 33.3 Million Twitter followers – Huge following on Twitter and Spotify and it’s well deserved. She has a wonderful voice and performs with the top draws in the world. She is current music.
1. David Guetta – 13.6 Million Twitter followers – This following, a huge 1 million leg up on #2, should speak to what people on Spotify are gravitating too. It’s music where the beat builds and then drops. Drugs and teenagers play a huge role in this spike but it’s here to stay.
Lady Gaga – With 40.9 million Twitter followers this is an embarrassment. Get a goddamn logo Gaga. Your Monsters will be dying before you know it.
Taylor Swift – Feels bigger than she is.
Imagine Dragons – Awesome logo and I hope they continue to crush the alt world.