Font choices in red should be regarded as “stop”
If you’re going to be using my LPT’s, you are forewarned
That is my actual betting log which has me down 7 units for the season
Don’t bet when drinking – When drinking, money becomes and object and not a means of survival. All awareness of the value of money goes out the window when you are 12 beers deep and this enables irrational thinking to bloom. As you can see from the feature image, the biggest bets are on games I couldn’t name one player from and this allowed a larger downturn than what should have happened. It should be noted that the biggest booms can occur when drinking as well.
Be Self Aware in Conversation – This is easily the hardest one to judge because it’s very subjective. When you’re talking to someone else, you can feel when you are on the same page with someone. They’ll be times when I start talking about a subject matter and I can tell that the person is bored to death or doesn’t care. When this happens, guess what I do? I change the fucking subject. So when you’re talking to me and you’ve prattled on for the last 5 minutes and I haven’t responded, SHUT THE FUCK UP! I’m too polite to tell you that I don’t give a shit but you should be able to tell. Funny story and an example. Last weekend I was hanging out with the Wads and asked him where his GF was. He gave me a one sentence answer, then he started going into detail and I stopped him and said, “I don’t care.” I’m not trying to be mean here, and since Adam is one of my best friends, I don’t mind interrupting him and telling him I don’t care because whether she’s at the mall or at the salon, it’s out of my interest. If Adam was a stranger, I’d probably just nod my head a bunch of times.
Eat Food and Drink Water When Boozing – I can’t explain it but I’m horrible at this. It’s like interrupting my drinking by eating is a buzz kill. It makes no sense because it takes 30 minutes and will increase a night by hours. When I eat and drink, I can go all day if I stay away from shots. When I haven’t eaten, it’s like I’ll go black out and zombie my way for a few hours until something bad happens. It shouldn’t be difficult, but it’s essential.
Get Off the Fucking Machine – I started going to the gym again and people are, as Larry David would say, “nincompoops”. If you aren’t using the machine, don’t sit on it using your phone. It’s not a bench. Why are you bringing your phone to work out anyway? The gym isn’t social hour. It’s supposed to be an efficient process of getting in shape. The only people who spend 2 hours at the gym are people who have nothing better to do with their lives except getting swole to move furniture (is my best guess).
Say Thank You..But Not Too Much – By far the best phrase to use in many spots. I even overuse it to the point that it starts becoming meaningless. The server gives me some coffee. Thank you. The server gives me my omelette. Thank you. The server gives me my check. Thank you. People like to be thanked genuinely because we like doing good deeds and then being respected or acknowledged for doing them. It goes the same with “great job”. I don’t want to hear great job. I want to hear what you actually think of the work even if it’s negative.
Title sung in the voice by the singer of the 4 Non Blondes. Actually better not to know what she looks like.
I’ve added another responsibility to my life which will push the posting of this blog back further on the priority list. I looked back at post counts and in years past I would hit 30+ a month. I’m lucky to hit the mid 20’s anymore. It’s because I don’t post as much garbage, but it’s also because my time is not nearly as ample.
I was voted the President of our bowling league in a weird circumstance last Monday night. There was a captain’s meeting and the question was posed “does anyone nominate anyone for President?” One guy, who I’d say I’m “friends” with, selected me. We’ve had some conversations before about some parts of the league that I would handle differently and he must have taken these conversations to heart. As such, the team captains elected me the new President over the old one. As President, my league responsibilities are minimal but that’s not the kind of person I am. I’ve decided to create a website for the league, I’d like to get some sponsorship money, and then have people who don’t own a bowling ball get a discount for buying one. These activities don’t actually take too much of my time but it’s another task to add to my list.
I also purchased a new camera which I’m not exactly sure how I’m going to use, but filming will be another useful skill. It’s somewhat amazing how blogging has essentially become my life. What started as a hobby is essentially “website building” and it is an effective means of disseminating information. Who would have guessed. I guess I would have accidentally. So with all that going on I’m doing my best to keep this website going strong but I’m being pulled in a lot of different directions with work which is not worth even getting into on this post. All I’ll write is that we’ve been doing a lot of business and it’s hard to keep up as is. I’ll expand in subsequent posts but not right now.
This guy is amazing. Normal people are probably like, “this guy is off his rocker.” I think he might be more advanced than anyone else on the planet. He doesn’t seem like he’s on drugs and the way this reporter is looking at him makes me think she’s the idiot, not him. He’s just spouting off about tetrahedrons and meaningless existence and it looks like her head is about to explode. Apologies to Sam who told me to watch this and I stole it for my blog.
Then he follows it up with this banger. Great stuff.
A quick summary: Sam, Laura, and I went to Nashville on a road trip to see the solar eclipse. It’s about 800 miles and a 12 hour drive. This was my first visit so it was all new to me and I’ll touch on a few of the finer points.
10. Rent a Car – No exaggeration, this was the best $400 dollars we spent on this trip. When I compare driving 1,500 miles in my ’13 Acura TL or doing it with a ’17 Nissan Altima, it’s night and day. My car has 75,000 miles on it and even though I get it checked up routinely, there is still a doubt in my mind it’s ready for this kind of road trip. The new car got incredible gas mileage (39 miles per gallon) which led to fewer breaks, it also ran smoother, and was an all-around nicer ride. Paying the $6 a day for Sirius is also a must unless you plan on bringing CD’s or using all your data.
9. Passing the Time – When you have to spend 25 hours in a car together you have to all get along and find some ways to pass the time. We played the name game for a while (ever hear of Rutherford Buttfucking Hayes?), ridiculed the new Wits and Wager questions, and listened to PopRocks way too much. Sam’s enjoyment of John Mayer’s Your Body Is a Wonderland is unquestioned.
8. Air BnB vs Hotel – My intuition when going on a trip is getting a plane ticket and booking a hotel room. For the eclipse, 98% of the hotel rooms were booked when we were looking and the other 2% was too expensive. The plane tickets were over $700 each for that decision of driving. Renting the Air BnB proved to be the best option for our journey ahead. We ended up spending a tad under $1,000 for the 3 nights which broken up 3 ways was affordable. The first night we got a house with 2 bedrooms that was a mere drive away from downtown and had a huge backyard. The 2nd night was a room broken off from a complete house where space was not abundant but the owners took it seriously and it was clean and the amenities worked. For booking it so late, we made out like bandits and there were no complications at any point.
7. Broadway is 99% White – I”m not writing this because I’m racist, I’m writing this because it’s true. The main downtown street, Broadway (more on this later), is the party street with all of the bars and where everyone goes. If you’ve ever noticed that all country stars are white, this is not a coincidence. The Music City is absolutely known for it’s music and that music is country. I only went to this one area so i’m 100% certain there is diversity elsewhere, just not here.
6. Live Music is Off the Hook – Knowing what I know about Philadelphia, if a person said Nashville is 100% more fun, I’d have no argument. Broadway is a street with 50 bars and 95% of them have live music. Many with multiple bands in the same building. It’s what Nashville is known for. The kicker is that all of the acts are professional and appealing. People are loving the vibe. Everyone is having a great time. It’s sheer fun and I’d be surprised if there are many other cities that can duplicate this. I was recently in Austin and this place blew its doors in.
5. Be Careful on the Bike Trail – On Saturday morning (after an eventful Friday night which makes it further down on the list) my day went like this
1) Breakfast Beer
2) Ate a Chicken Quesadilla on at the farmer’s market
3) Drank a house tequila drink and 2 bud lights while watching Cannon Cox perform at Cervezas Jack’s
4) Drank a Helping Hands IPA while Sam woofed down a double cheeseburger
5) Drank a Yuengling at a roof top bar
With this setup, it was about 3:30 and Laura and Sam wanted to go for a bike ride. Sure thing. As we were riding my wheel slipped off the sidewalk and as I tried to get back on the tire didn’t get completely over the hump and I wiped out. Not a major injury but this was on looked right in front a police officer who I assured I was ok and sped away. Drinking and biking are not that easy.
Didn’t get to go inside
4. The Sheep Shuttle – Figuring we were here for an eclipse, why not check out the science center? We were met with a parking lot constructed by scientists (sarcasm), a sheep shuttle which took 20 people a half mile that was walkable every 20 minutes, a sold out event with the lamest nerd festival created, a bizarre incident with a kid getting lost in a park, and parking attendants imitating Michael Jackson. This was one of those places that has good intentions and is probably fine on regular days, but volume was not its friend on this day. Plus my sno-cone sucked.
3. Hipsters Don’t Know Business – I’m sure this is every city but hipsters should stick to craft beer and making breakfast…oh wait…they couldn’t even do that. After the Science Center fiasco we decided to go to the Jackalope brewery which has the best intentions but it’s outgrown its setup. On a hot Sunday afternoon, we were greeted with a tight quartered area with a live, hippie-esque, duo that there was no space for. The ordering of the beer system was destined for lines which is pretty much the #1 concept you should try to have figured out. We ended up playing some Halftime unsuccessfully while we enjoyed our beers. Not saying this was a bad experience, it just could have been better. Which brings me to breakfast on a Monday morning at a hipster breakfast place downtown. Where to begin. The tables were shaped like guitars with actual holes in the table below the neck. It was 9am and they had run out of most breakfast items. The coffee, which they were known for, was dispensed from one of those Holiday Inn push down containers. I wasn’t even there when 3 people messed up Laura and Sam’s order, but it happened. Sheesh.
Remember this bar, Sam?
2. Don’t Give Sam Whiskey & Remember Your Location – Friday night was Sam’s time to shine as I’ll rehash what happened when we arrived. After the 12 hours drive we were ecstatic to get out there. After Sam tried to convince me that Damon from Shark Tank had hair in the early seasons, we each drank about 4 bud lights. We then went to the neighborhood bars for some cheap PBR’s and a Jai Lai. We then Ubered to Brodway where we went to a bar that must have had 50 taps. Sam and I each had 2 beers and I remember thinking when I went to the bathroom one time that I was starting to get buzzed. We wandered around to a smaller bar with live music where Laura was ready for a drink and she oddly chose a shot of whiskey. At the time, I didn’t remember that Sam wasn’t a whiskey fan so I bought 3 and downed it without much thought. This shot, and another beer or so, turned Sam’s brain from bright to dark as his solar eclipse settled in. We went to another bar where we stormed the front of the crowd and had some fun. In my drunk state I told Laura that she should take Sam home as I wanted to stay out and party some more by myself. Whoops. I creepily went to a few more bars by myself (having Laura in the group made Sam and I less creepy as a whole I may add) and at 1:30 or so decided to walk home. Considering we started the day at 4:30 in the morning and I hadn’t slept a wink, I may have been a bit out there. Without having any destination in mind, I set off to get “home”. I ended up in some part of town that I guess I wasn’t supposed to be and was approached by a police officer who asked me where I was going. I didn’t know the address of the AirBnb and told him I didn’t know. He asked if I knew any landmarks? “The Bear Den” I said (it actual place was called the Crying Wolf). He then took my phone and he asked me who I was with and I said my sister is Laura. The cop called her, she heroically saved my night, and he put me into a cab to get home. All’s well that ends well.
This one’s for you Hafe
1. The Bars – I touched on this earlier but Nashville is the real deal when it comes to partying. I understand that the locals probably hate Broadway, but if you are there for a short period of time, it’s all you can ask for. I’m a big live music fan and you’ll get your mix of bands playing the classic party songs, bands going hardcore country, and all else in between.Country music isn’t my cup of tea but it’s an awesome sight to see all these country folk jamming out to songs I’ve never heard before and all having a great time. The city doesn’t have this uptight feeling where you’re being judged by what you look like or doing. I’ll throw out a few of the bars that I particularly liked for various reasons. The FGL bar was setup with a sick stage with a band that knew what to play and the crowd was going nuts. Honky Tonk was sweet with a more country feel. Acme has an awesome view of the city from its rooftop bar. I wish I could comment on more of them but I only remember these few. An awesome factor is that none of these bars charge cover. This offsets the fact that these “fun” bars usually charge $6 for a 12 oz Bud Light. It doesn’t matter your age or intention, you will have a good time here.
Special thanks go to Laura and Sam for making this a memorable trip. It’s nice that we can travel like this and have no issues. We do a good job understanding that we’re all in a trip like this together and are aware of each others needs. Spending that much time in a car together isn’t easy. Lots of laughs and memories created from this fun experience.
The final section of this post will be dedicated to the eclipse as this was the whole reason we went. Was it worth it to drive 24 hours to spend 2 minutes in totality? Probably not. Sam was in charge of getting us in a place to see it and we found some train tracks that had a perfect view of the sun. At whatever time the moon was going to cross, you could start to see a sliver blocking sun. This lasted for about an hour before the main event occurred. We passed the time by throwing rocks at a can and complaining how hot it was. I didn’t even touch on this in my write up but this city is fucking hot. Once the moon blocked the sun in full, you could see it perfectly in line and you didn’t have to use the glasses. The entire area got dark and bugs were going nuts. It was certainly odd to see it go completely dark for 2 minutes but certainly not an apocalyptic feel. It was fun though and a perfect reason to go on a road trip. I know the video sucks but it was useless to photograph it.
It’s 3:47am and I ran out of the Green Mountain for my Keurig and resorted to the shitty WB Mason brand that tastes like shit. I’m currently listening to The Nylon Curtain by Billy Joel and want to leave some brief Billy thoughts. He’s probably not as well revered as you may think as most music critics think he’s a bit of a hack. He self admits (modestly) that his piano playing is enough to get by but his body of work speaks for itself. I find myself changing virtually everyone of his overplayed songs but I enjoy, oddly, 1980’s Billy Joel which is overlooked. Specifically Laura, All For Leyna, I Don’t Want To Be Alone Anymore, and Scandinavian Skies. Why am I awake at 3:47? Good question. I don’t have an answer.
I went to sleep at 10 after having a few pints at Moriarty’s (they have Pliny the Elder). The chalk board clearly said “happy hour all day” for 3 types of beers and the bartender told me it ended at 7. I wasn’t going to argue. I had planned to clean my house (for some reason whenever I go on a trip I like returning to a spotless place) and pack for the Nashville trip but didn’t feel like doing it. I wanted to sleep more but we plan on getting up early tomorrow and figured this will make me tired throughout the day so I can sleep tonight and be ready for tomorrow.
What am I doing you ask? Sam, Laura, and I (or myself) are heading west to Nashville to witness the Solar Eclipse. I want something to do that’s different (a solar eclipse in Totality last happened in 1918) and am hoping these 2 minutes are worth 24 hours of driving. I suspect we’ll have plenty of good stories and will hopefully come away with some cool pictures and a fun trip report.
Googling “can I go blind while looking at a solar eclipse” is an amusing exercise. It runs parallel with “can I go blind looking at a laser pointer”. The obvious answer is “yes”. I’m not making light of the situation (great f’ing pun) but there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of difference between when the eclipse occurs and looking at the sun in daytime. Like, no shit if I look at the sun for 2 minutes straight, I’m going to have eye problems. “I’m sorry to break your bubble, my friend, but the sun does not emit any extra ultraviolet radiation during a solar eclipse. It emits exactly the same amount ultraviolet radiation as it does on normal days.”
I found this little nugget too, “It is my greatest disappointment that so many have missed seeing one of natures most beautiful events – a total solar eclipse – because of misinformation. No photograph, no TV or other laboratory technique can represent or capture this unique physical phenomenon. The colors and contrast, the detail and structure of the image is beyond reproduction.”
So all in all, I’m going to be headed to Nashville with 1 million other tourists to watch day become night for 2 minutes and spend the rest of the time getting drunk and listening to Country. Anyone else going? Should be a jam packed party. I’m not sure if good pictures will be produced. I tend to think not as I did some basic research and unless your familiar with exposure settings, it sounds like they’ll turn out as duds.
If you couldn’t guess by my title, the epic run was not meant to be as per usual. I did end up winning the aggregate in golf for $700+ but this only counteract the $580 I lost playing 1-3 on Saturday night. My fantasy baseball run ended as quickly as it started in this shortened season and all I can say is it wasn’t meant to be. The guy used an average pitcher I dropped 3 weeks ago for a 2 start 40 pt performance just to rub my face in it. Oh well. To top it all off, Louie couldn’t get it done which seems to be the consistent result with our relationship. Back to Monday.
Quick life check in as I don’t have much to write. Below, in bullet format, are some highlights of my useless existence.
Last weekend I took 7th in a poker tournament with 56 players. 1st place was $1,900 and I was the overwhelming chip leader for a while. How did this happen you ask? Let’s just say people play very different against a person they believe to be drunk, which I was. I doubled up to start the tournament when my K10 ousted a Q10 with top pair on the board. Then my TT beat a pair of 66’s and AK with a ten spike on the river. I cruised to the final table with a huge stack when my QQ was beat by a KQ. I still had a decent stack when this final hand occurred. With 7 left, the blinds were 4,000/ 8,000 and I had about 75k in chips. Figuring everyone was going to be playing tight as a drum, I pushed QT from the hi-jack and got nipped by the small blind with AQ. GG.
For the first time in my life, my chess ranking was 1300. I can’t even explain how I went from 1150 to 1300 in one day but I’ve been playing the Grob opening as white, French against king pawn, and Indian game against queen pawn.
I had Kucher
I subscribed to Fantasy Labs for the British Open as I’m in a 40 person pool with a buy in of $75. I’ve yet to win any of the majors outright, but currently hold the total strokes lead by 20 (after The Open) which will net me over $700 if I can finish the PGA passing 5 guys. My DK lineups lost me $66 as Louis pretty much busted any chance after his opening round +8.
I won the regular season in Fantasy Baseball going 12-3 which is worth a few hundred and a much needed bye heading into the playoffs. I’m not going to act like I have the best team because teams I played just didn’t score. I consistently averaged 250 which I believe helped me as I didn’t have big swings during my weeks to either guarantee wins or losses. For what it’s worth, I do think my team is the best it’s been all season since I added Adrian Beltre, Zach Britton, Eduardo Rodriguez, and Starling Marte to the roster over the weeks.
I liked the GoT episode this week better than the 1st. I also started reading the Corrections. I haven’t been playing much golf and my bowling game should still be sharp.
Today I completed a track workout for my 4th day of running in a row. The Temple track is about a 10 minute run away from my house and I discovered that they allow public access which has me pretty pumped. I haven’t ran on a track since the Roxbourogh high school days.
I started with a two mile workout with quarters at 1:15 and then a rest lap at 1:45. I started off in an 80, 100, before hitting 70 on the 3 fast ones and a range of 1:35-1:50 on the other three. I accidentally reset the watch to destroy the exact times which kind of blew my mind. I then took a breather and ran a 2:34 800 which was about all I could muster up.
The reason I write that I’m happy to run 4 days in a row is because I’ve been sidelined with a blister, tweaked ankle, and messed up knee for the month prior. While I was unable to run while the blister healed, the other parts got better too. I’m finally pain free again until I overwork myself and start complaining.
My mind and body are right finally and when this occurs it makes it much easier to blog. Even though I’m writing about nothing, I still feel the creative urge to want to put words on this blog instead of the alternative. I’m going to keep trying to pump out entries as I see fit.
As each year passes by I refine my purpose on this planet. I’ve wrote this entry dozens of times over the years but one more doesn’t hurt. My life without work is a shitshow.
The past 4 days of not working are me wasting time not in the best fashion. 4 days of this leads me to question what I’m even supposed to be doing and that starts feeling depressing. It’s not loneliness as I’m spending time with other people. The drinking doesn’t help but I even did a better job than past years at curbing that to a moderate degree. I watch some TV, play some chess, and bowl but it’s killing time with no means in ends. I’ve lost the ability to enjoy time spent as relaxing.
I know this because when I went to work today I spent 5 straight hours packing orders, answering the phone, and running a business and the time flew by. I wouldn’t say I felt alive, but at least I felt productive. This is the entire paradox of it all:
I work to make money…so that I can spend money to live…yet I spend the money in absurd fashions. Living life pretty much always costs me more money than I want it to and I don’t nearly enjoy it as much as I should. Some alternatives to how I usually waste my time:
In my teens and 20’s I wasted more hours than I can count on video games and I’m not going back.
I could give up drinking and devote a life towards some activity that will turn me into an overzealous zealot.
Go on as many dates as possible to stop being “single” for the sake of not being single and then having someone else who I can share my self pity with.
Move to the mountains and live in a log cabin by a pond like Henry David Thoreau.
Keep doing what I’m doing even though I know what I’m doing is only passing time and although I’m getting less destructive, it’s still not “living”
The hardest part for me is the work aspect of life because I spend so much time doing it, that when I’m not doing it, I want to do anything else balls to the wall. I don’t want to spend weekends pretending like I’m happy. The converse though is getting wasted and feeling regret about whatever I did and the damaging effects to my body.
I look back and consider that I’m still doing whatever I was doing in my 20’s, in my 30’s, and it’s a bit unsettling as I see my friends getting married and having children. Some guys do it because they feel like they should and I’m doing my best to not force anything, but I’m also not trying hard enough. It’s also odd that I tend to ponder these situations coming off these long weekends that are alcohol induced and tend not to think much about them when I’m living a sober life style. It’s like the alcohol wearing away brings the self loathing but the without it life seems dull. I suppose I should be happy all I’m complaining about is alcohol and not the mess of other problems available.
Don’t worry about me though, I’m all good and the blog will march onward but I wanted to give a life update.
When I have to polish brick hammer heads, I go through the torture of listening to AM/FM. Now I’m not going to berate AM/FM listener and call them poor or stupid because that would be mean, but I’ll certainly make them aware that they fall into the sheeple category. If I wanted to listen to 4 minutes of ads for every 10 minutes of songs, I’d listen to AM/FM. 1045 even has the gall to go through 3 minutes of ads and then say, “don’t worry listeners, there will be music back in 1 minute.” Brutal listening experience and don’t even get me started on the outdated nature of the songs they play. For the record, I do get extremely annoyed when 4 of my stations on Sirius play Spoon and that godforsaken song “Hot Thoughts” and “Can I Sit Next To You”.
One positive advertising thought that came out of listening was the radio 104.5 90 minute commercial-free music session in the music. I can’t remember exactly what it was called but a company was sponsoring the session and this made me look favorably on whatever company was doing it. I can’t remember the company so it didn’t work, but I also wasn’t paying attention to it either. So rather than play an ad that is going to make me want to run over a squirrel with my car, the company gets in my good graces by a non-selfish act. Much more effective in my opinion.
With that being said, I listen to WIP every night before I go to sleep and the ads that are played are absolutely gut wrenching. Here are a few examples:
I’m getting nasty with Photoshop
Reverse Mortgage – I was told that using this company for a reverse mortgage (over the age of 62) is “the biggest no-brainer move in the history of mankind”.I’m not an expert in reverse mortgages but my initial thought is that its a deal where you get money and you sell your soul to whoever is on the otherside. I’m not far off because it’s where you get money for giving up equity in your home. Don’t get me wrong, if all your money is in your home, and your flat broke, a reverse mortgage might make sense. But there is no way it’s the biggest “no-brainer move” in the history of mankind to give away your equity at a “no doubt about it” discount.
Bolt – I apologize in advance for not grabbing my pen fast enough to jot down the details of this ad exactly. It starts off by calling you soft. Soft as in being a complete wimp but I suppose it is also referring to your dick. It proceeds to say that America is going soft with participation awards and how our fore-fathers would be completely disappointed in us. It turns out its for some energy drink to make you a badass in either life or bed, I can’t remember. It concludes by asking you to text the word “bolt” to 202020 to get a free sample. I googled this and didn’t come up with the actual product which does not seem to be Bolt Energy Drink. Like I said to start, my apologies for not getting the exact info. I’ll note that I do think America is soft as 2 members of our fantasy football league dropped out because they have responsibilities like children. Are you fucking kidding me?
Spothero – Ck4 was telling me he tried to use a parking app which reserves a parking spot for you. When he got to the area there was no spot and it turned out the app did nothing at all. I can’t possibly understand how an app is going to tell you which parking spots are open but that’s besides the point. The ad used “it’s like dropping an egg in coffee” which had me scratching my head. It’s like your so busy you have to make some disgusting drink to hurry up? How about waking up 5 minutes earlier so you can cook your egg? The point is that your in a rush you can’t be troubled by finding a parking spot. This app will save the day. I don’t believe it.